Senior Software Engineer
Know more about SumUp
At SumUp, we are driven to empower small businesses across the globe by de-hassling their lives and helping them to succeed. Our vision as a global FinTech company is to build the first-ever global card acceptance brand, and we are well on our way as small businesses in over 31 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid. To get there, we are putting together an awesome team that is committed to one another and to our merchants.
Our boldness, startup mindset, empathy and love for product foster a creative environment for our employees. We value an entrepreneurial spirit and seek to build lasting relationships among our employees. We know that a diverse and inclusive workforce keeps us competitive and provides opportunities for all. We believe that together we can help small businesses grow.
Your impact at SumUp
As part of our vision to become a truly global IT organisation, we have started to build out local, autonomous, cross-functional squads that can take an aspect of our product and perfect it from concept to execution with full autonomously. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be a part of one of our new squads in Brazil, which means that you will have the freedom to experiment with new things and apply your ideas in our products.
Your role and responsibilities
- Be a technical leader within your team.
- Participate in API design and implementation for both internal APIs and those exposed to our third-party integrators.
- Provide thoughtful and comprehensive documentation and testing for your features before shipping them.
- Design, implement, and iteratively improve new services and systems.
- Collaborate with other Software, QA and DevOps engineers to ensure smooth deployment, continual operation and support for quality software.
- Coach and mentor other engineers to increase their abilities and productivity.
- Actively provide code review feedback to other software engineers, considering both style and implementation.
- Interact daily with our different areas bringing technical perspective for each new feature, but also taking account the business value added on it.
- Experience with Agile Methodologies (Scrum or Kanban)
- B.S. or M.S. Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent fundamentals;
- 5+ years of experience in a Software Engineering Role;
- Fluent in Git;
- Experience with SQL (PostgreSQL);
- Solid OOP and Functional Programming skills;
- Solid debugging, optimisation and problem-solving skills;
- Self-motivated, proactive and engaged attitude towards projects;
A strong candidate will also have:
- Good working knowledge of message brokers - RabbitMQ, Kafka;
- Frontend skills as sometimes it might be handy in new squads;
- Experience working in an international, distributed team;
- Semi-annual off-sites, where the tech teams from Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo gather together. In the past we've gone to Bulgaria and Greece and a castle in the German countryside.
- Nice and flexible working times
- Empowerment to do great things and the opportunity to leave your mark in a high-growth organization
- We have a close, welcoming and international community. Our team comes from 50 different countries creating a fun, international environment. We get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, office parties, English classes, and more :)
SumUp is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. SumUp does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age or any other basis protected by applicable laws or prohibited by Company policy. SumUp also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.