Senior Frontend Engineer (React/Node) (m/f)
We are the leading mobile point-of-sale (mPOS) company in Europe, with major offices in Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo. We started out five years ago and built our payment service from scratch to shake up the industry and wake up the entrepreneur within everyone. We created a unique device that pairs with the smartphone in your pocket, allowing small merchants to accept card payments anywhere. Beyond our original hardware, mobile and web apps, we have gone on to develop a suite of APIs and SDKs for integrating SumUp payments into other apps and services. We recently launched a brand new contactless device, which makes paying by card easier than ever before!
Today, hundreds of thousands of small businesses in 30 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid. But we won’t stop there. By the end of the year SumUp will expand into 16 more markets! If you think you've got what it takes to disrupt the payments industry — join us.
You'll fit in perfectly to our team if:
- You not only love coding, but also take the time to reflect on the benefits and drawbacks of your tools, be they frameworks, languages, or processes.
- You strive for clean code, but also know how to make your "shortcuts" easy to delete in a crunch.
- You know what to test, why to test it, and how to write flexible tests that won't break with minor changes.
- You're comfortable working in a Linux environment.
- You have experience with or interest in Functional Programming techniques.
- You know how to make pragmatic programming decisions in a complex codebase.
- You care about user interaction, usability, and of course – making the interface beautiful.
- In general, technology excites you and you strive to learn something on a daily basis!
Your impact at SumUp
You'll shape some of the core experiences of our merchants: from their first impression on our website, to the web-based features that make them loyal to our platform. Here are some of the things you'll be doing at SumUp:
- Write pragmatic, testable code that works on different devices, OSes, and browsers.
- Work with a cross-functional team to ship on a weekly basis.
- Contribute to our React component library and build new features in our merchant-facing SPA.
- Collaborate with product and design departments to build maintainable, usable, and beautiful features.
- Share your knowledge with other developers through pair programming.
- Participate in architectural decisions and crafting our long-term technical strategy.
- Take initiative in pushing projects forward, while validating and communicating your ideas with the team.
- Help us continue to develop our open-source projects and culture.
- 4-5 years professional experience
- Computer Science fundamentals (e.g., data structures, data transformation, function composition, etc.)
- Strong foundation in Linux
- Experience building a non-trivial Single Page Application (SPA) (Angular or React preferable)
- Ability to implement design specs precisely with (S)CSS
- Ability to communicate fluently about technical topics in English
- Experience working with Node and relational databases
A strong candidate will also have:
- 5+ years development experience
More reasons to work at SumUp
- Dedicated budget for attending conferences.
- Weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local dev team exchanges technical ideas over company-sponsored lunch.
- Stay creative! Spend your Friday afternoons hacking on a side project of your choosing.
- We do at least one off-site every year, where the tech teams from Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo gather to hack together. In the past we've gone to Bulgaria and Greece.
- Our lean processes allow us to ship new features and functionality on a weekly basis.
- Infrequent regular meetings – most days you'll do a standup and get to work.
- We have a close, welcoming, and international community; we get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, yoga, and office parties.
- All the startup swag you expect: kicker table, beer in the fridge, and a shiny MacBook Pro.
We're looking forward to meeting our next teammate! You'll be asked to provide the following information when you apply:
- Why do you think you'd be a good fit for this position?
- One of your favorite coding challenges you encountered in the last two years: what was it about, how you tackled it, and what you learned. Technical details encouraged!
You can also choose whether to include a CV, a link to your Xing/LinkedIn, a link to your github, tech blog, or portfolio – whatever you think will give us the complete picture!
If your application is selected, our hiring process has four steps:
1. Short coding quiz (à la "Fizz buzz") which will take you 15-45 minutes.
2. Phone call to talk about position, get to know you, and answer your questions.
3. Verbal technical interview in our office where you can meet the team.
4. A day of pair programming in our office in Berlin on a React app.
Please be aware that our process involves interviewing on-site, so you should be prepared to come meet us during this process.
If you want to know what it’s like to work at SumUp check our careers page: https://sumup.com/careers
If there's something you'd like to ask, feel free to get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org