Android Developer (m/f)
We are the leading mobile point-of-sale (mPOS) company in Europe. Our company vision is to become the first ever global card acceptance brand. Today tens of thousands of merchants accept card payments with SumUp in 16 countries including Germany, France, the UK and Brazil.
Headquartered in London, SumUp's major offices are in Berlin, Sofia and São Paulo.
We recently launched a brand new contactless device, which makes paying by card easier than ever before.
Why work with us?
We do things differently. We build our own payment solution end-to-end so that we can always offer the best value & service. We know how vital payment is to small business, so we use our technology to solve their problems. We believe in open and transparent communication, not strict rules and hierarchies. If you’re looking for the chance to innovate, and disrupt the payment industry – join us.
Your impact at SumUp
You’ll shape the core experience of merchants who are using the Android App on a daily basis.
In the first few weeks, you'll dive into the code and learn how to create clean, composable components in our codebase. You'll use this knowledge to start developing and refining features. You'll learn how we write tests, how we manage bluetooth communication, and how we keep performance tip-top.
In the first three months, you'll develop major features that impact our merchant base. You'll work closely with product and design departments to build features that are maintainable, usable, and beautiful. You'll help us re-think problems we've solved before in a different way as requirements evolve.
By the end of your first year, you'll have a wealth of knowledge about our complex problem domain, as well as its implications in the interface and in the backend – and how to manage it in a clean way. You'll have launched numerous features in the Android App as well as in the Android SDK.
You will fit in perfectly to our team if:
- You're comfortable with Java and the Android framework (iOS knowledge would be a plus). You also know how to get things done on the command line.
- You know what to test, why to test it, and how to write flexible tests that won't break.
- You care about user interaction, usability, and of course making the interface beautiful.
- You strive for clean code, but also know how to make your "shortcuts" easy to delete in a crunch.
- You love coding and take the time to reflect on all aspects of your implementation, be it the frameworks, languages or processes.
- You're not afraid to use Google or ask for help when something is beyond your grasp.
- Your precise communication skills make working in a distributed team effective and efficient.
- Technology excites you and you strive to learn something on a daily basis!
More reasons to work at SumUp
- The Mobile Team: You'll be with people who care about mutual learning, keeping our technical knowledge up-to-date, and discussing ideas that contribute to not only the company's success but keeping everyone well-rounded and hands-on;
- Opportunity to attend tech meetups and conferences with the team (especially if you're giving a talk!);
- Flat hierarchies and the opportunity to have an impact, irrespective of your job description;
- An amazing team and work-environment, that works with purpose and high-output;
- Nice and comfortable working times;
- Challenging tasks in an international environment;
- Additional health insurance;
- 23 days paid vacation.
We are looking forward to meet our next teammate! In the application form, you will be asked for the following:
- Tell us more about your "technical you". You can choose whether to include a link to your Xing/LinkedIn, a link to your github, tech blog, or portfolio – whatever you think will give us the complete picture!
- Tell us about one of your favorite coding challenges you encountered in the last two years: what was it about, how you tackled it, and what you learned. Technical details encouraged!
If you want to know what it’s like to work at SumUp check our careers page: https://sumup.com/careers
If there's something you'd like to ask, feel free to get in touch: email@example.com