Our SumUp office in Cologne is hiring for the position of Backend Engineer.
In this role, you'll work with a small cross-functional co-located team to build tools that help hundreds of thousands of small businesses thrive. By shipping code early and often, you'll see the impact of your work on merchant's daily lives right away. You'll collaborate with experts in product, design, and operations to deliver mission-critical internal and external features that power the SumUp ecosystem.
We work on a number of different domains that span technologies, systems, and processes. A few of the technologies we're leveraging on SumUp platform include Ruby, Scala, Node, Erlang, Go, Kafka, Kubernetes and Docker.
The technology focus of the team in Cologne is to develop new systems powering our new ventures' platforms on Go, Kubernetes and Docker.
Your role and responsibilities
- Participate in API design and implementation for both internal APIs and those exposed to our third-party integrators.
- Provide thoughtful and comprehensive documentation and testing for your features before shipping them.
- Design, implement, and iteratively improve new backend services.
- Maintain and extend existing backend services.
- Collaborate with other software, QA and sysops engineers to ensure smooth deployment, continual operation and support for quality software.
- Actively provide code review feedback to other software engineers, considering both style and implementation.
- Experience with Golang (knowledge of Ruby or Java is a plus)
- Experience with microservices architecture and Restful APIs
- Experience with protocol buffers and GRPC are a plus
- Experience with Git
- Experience within Linux/Unix environment (comfortable working with a CLI)
- Solid FP skills
- Solid debugging, optimisation and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, proactive and engaged attitude towards projects
- Ability to write clear and concise code that your teammates can understand and build upon
More reasons to work at SumUp
- The Backend Team: You'll be with people who care about mutual learning, keeping our technical knowledge up-to-date, and discussing ideas that not only contribute to the company's success, but keep everyone connected to the wider tech community.
- Opportunity to attend tech meetups and conferences with the team (especially if you're giving a talk!).
- Convenient location in the heart of Cologne.
- All the startup swag you expect: Xbox, unlimited coffee, and a shiny MacBook Pro.
- At least one off-site every year, where the tech teams from Berlin, Cologne, Sofia, and São Paulo gather to hack together. In the past we've gone to Germany, Bulgaria and Greece.
- Our office has a strong sense of community; we get together regularly for sports, Karneval, and drinks.
- Our global team comes from 30 different countries creating a fun, international environment.
We are looking forward to meet our next teammate!
If you want to know what it’s like to work at SumUp check our careers page: https://sumup.com/careers.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
We are the leading mobile point-of-sale (mPOS) company in Europe. We started out 6 years ago and built our payment service from scratch to shake up the industry and wake up the entrepreneur within anyone. We created a unique device that with the smartphone that’s in your pocket, allows small merchants to accept card payments anywhere. Whether our merchants are brewing coffee or fixing cars, we want to make technology that everyone knows how to use. So our merchants can get on with what they do best. From our paperless onboarding to taking the first payment, we make it easy. Traditional offerings leave out small businesses, we don’t. We are open and honest about our pricing and have no hidden fees.
Today, hundreds of thousands of small businesses in 30 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid. In addition to our original hardware, mobile and web apps we have gone on to develop a suite of APIs and SDKs to integrate SumUp payment into other apps and services.
Why work for us?
We do things differently. We build our own payment solution end-to-end so that we can always offer the best value & service. We know how vital payment is to small business, so we use our technology to solve their problems. We believe in open and transparent communication, not strict rules and hierarchies. If you’re looking for the chance to innovate, and disrupt the payment industry – join us. We are a team of hardworking, talented people with one goal: to build a better way to get paid. We’ve got some huge challenges ahead of us, and we need smart, creative people to help us tackle them. If you think you’ve got what it takes - join us.