Senior Erlang/Elixir Engineer
We are the leading mobile point-of-sale (mPOS) company in Europe, with major offices in Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo comprising more than 800 people. We started out five years ago and built our payment service from scratch to shake up the industry and wake up the entrepreneur within everyone. We created a unique device that pairs with the smartphone in your pocket, allowing small merchants to accept card payments anywhere. Beyond our original hardware, mobile and web apps, we have gone on to develop a suite of APIs and SDKs for integrating SumUp payments into other apps and services. We recently launched a brand new contactless device, which makes paying by card easier than ever before.
Today, hundreds of thousands of small businesses in 30 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid. But we won’t stop there. By the end of the year SumUp will double its number of markets, remaining the mPOS player operating in the greatest number of countries worldwide.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better products for our merchants. If you think you've got what it takes to disrupt the payments industry — join us.
Your impact at SumUp
As part of our vision to become a truly global IT organisation, we have started to build out local, autonomous, cross-functional teams that can take an aspect of our product and perfect it from concept to execution. As Senior Erlang/Elixir Engineer, you will be part of our core Payments system.
Your role and responsibilities
- Maintain and extend the core payments system, responsible for transaction processing and written in Erlang.
- Design, implement, and iteratively improve new backend services in Elixir.
- Be a technical leader within your team.
- Participate in API design and implementation for both internal APIs and those exposed to our third-party integrators.
- Provide thoughtful and comprehensive documentation and testing for your features before shipping them.
- Collaborate with other software, QA and sysops engineers to ensure smooth deployment, continual operation and support for quality software.
- Coach and mentor other engineers to increase their abilities and productivity.
- Actively provide code review feedback to other software engineers, considering both style and implementation.
- B.S. or M.S. Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent fundamentals
- 3+ years of experience in a software engineering role
- Experience with Erlang/Elixir and it’s surrounding ecosystem
- Experience with Git
- Experience with SQL (PostgreSQL)
- Experience within Linux/Unix environment (comfortable working with a CLI)
- Solid debugging, optimisation and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, proactive and engaged attitude towards projects
- Ability to write clear and concise code that your teammates can understand and build upon
We understand the highly specialised nature of Erlang and Elixir perfectly well and the restricted talent pool available. Please don’t hesitate to apply if you are an experienced developer, a functional programming enthusiast and are existed to jump head in into the exciting world of BEAM languages.
A strong candidate will also have:
- Good working knowledge of message brokers
- Experience with distributed and fault tolerant systems
- Contribution to open source projects or personal projects is desirable
- Experience working in an international, distributed team
- Competitive compensation and education budget.
- Visa and relocation support for a smooth transition to living and working in Berlin.
- Responsibility and empowerment from day one.
- Participate in our weekly developer events, like Lunch & Learn and Hack Fridays.
- Close, welcoming, and international community of 800 people from over 30 countries; we get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, yoga, German classes, and office parties.
- At least one off-site every year, where the tech teams from Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo gather to hack together. In the past we've gone to Bulgaria and Greece.
- Be part of one of Berlin's most exciting startups, on a mission to take over the world.
We're looking forward to meeting our next teammate! You'll be asked to provide the following information when you apply:
- One of your favorite coding challenges you encountered in the last two years: what was it about, how you tackled it, and what you learned. Technical details encouraged!
You can also choose whether to include a CV, a link to your Xing/LinkedIn, a link to your github, tech blog, or portfolio – whatever you think will give us the complete picture!
If you want to know what it’s like to work at SumUp check our careers page: https://sumup.com/careers
If there's something you'd like to ask, feel free to get in touch: [email protected]